My muse has been shaking the bars of her monkey cage all morning. My brain was too foggy to deal with that noise. And then she tickled me with an idea, a treasure hunt in words, a game of sorts. The idea both amuses and intrigues me.
So here’s the rules of the game:
Choose snippets of lyrics from 12 different songs, the very first you think of when you think of that song, maybe the very first words you noticed when you heard the song and really listened to it the first time, realizing it was speaking to you personally.
I think each of us who find these words and put them sensibly together will in them find a sensible message specific to us.
Can you do this?
Amused or not, I felt the way you do (IF you do) when go to the end of your house to get something and can’t recall what it was by the time you get there. But I got over it after lunch and this is what I came up, fueled by black coffee and milk chocolate:
- “You change your mind like a girl changes clothes. You PMS like a bitch, I should know…” – Hot N’ Cold by Katy Perry.
- “C’est la vie, have your leaves all turned to brown? Will you scatter them around you? C’est la vie…” – C’est La Vie by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
- “I walk without a cut through a stained glass wall…” – These Dreams by Heart.
- “Blue around the morning moon, the color of your eyes. I remember holding you from Fall thru Summer skies…” – Bell, Book, & Candle by Eddie Reader.
- “I wish I knew what you were looking for; I might have known what you would find. And it’s something quite peculiar. Something shimmering and white leads you here despite your destination under the milky way tonight….” – Under the Milky Way Tonight by Church
- “You live in a church where you sleep with voodoo dolls and you won’t give up the search for ghosts in the halls, wear sandals in the snow and a smile that won’t wash away. Can you look at the window without your shadow getting in the way?” – Building A Mystery by Sarah McLachlan
- “Between Heaven and Earth, there’s a ball room floor where couples glide in the Evermore, floating through the clouds, dancing in the rain. Eyes that see no lies, hearts that feel no pain…” – We Never Danced by Neil Young.
- “I’m not the one whose so far away when I feel the snake bite enter my skin. Never did I want to be here again and I don’t remember why I came.” – Voodoo by Godsmack
- “Breathe life into this feeble heart. Lift this mortal veil of fear. Take these crumbled hopes etched with tears. We’ll rise above these earthly cares. Cast your eyes on the ocean. Cast your soul to the sea.” – Dante’s Prayer by Loreena McKennitt
- “Deja vu… Could you be the dream that I once knew? Is it you? Deja vu. Could you be the dream that might come true shining through? I keep remembering me. I keep remembering you.” – Deja Vu by Dionne Warwick.
- “If your hopes scatter like the dust across your track, I’ll be the moon that shines on your path. The sun may blind our eyes. I’ll pray the skies above for snow to fall on the Sahara.” – Snow on the Sahara by Eric Fernand Benzi and Monique Lucienn Matheson.
- “Free the dream within. The stars are crying. A tear, a sigh, escapes from heaven and worlds end. Breathe the dream within, the mystifying…” – The Dream Within by Laura Fabien.
There does seem to be a pattern here… but what does it mean? Any idea?