1. Being a mere yearling in Sims 3, I’m still learning a lot and very proud of everything I learn despite knowing that more veteran players (there, Amy, I said it) probably already know this stuff. So here’s what I’ve learned most recently:
- To enter a cheat code, you hit Ctrl+Shift-C, type your code in, and then hit Enter before proceeding with whatever you’re going to do.
- How to make split level stairs. Use the cheat “Floorelevationconstrained false,” enter, and build a little room (like 2 squares big) on your level terrain BEFORE building anything else of the house. Put floor tiles on top of this room as if for a second story. Move over a couple of squares an put some stairs down. It will sink the terrain a little at it’s foot. Put another stairs down adjacent to the sunken part and the second stair will sing the terrain a little more at its foot. Then delete both stairs and build a 2nd little room at the lower spot, levelling a little from that point so you have at least 2 squares to work with. It helps. Roof the 2nd room with floor tiles then, starting from the this one’s roof, use your leveling tool to go to the top of the 1st building. This will force the 1st room half-way into the ground. You can then delete the 2nd building. The first one is now your mid-floor landing. You can’t attach the walls of other levels to it though, only the stairs to the appropriate floors. But that’s cool. You can make an open indoor garden around it. Meh. Too involved to go into here. Maybe later if anyone’s interested. I had enough trouble getting it all down that when I finally got it just right, I saved the completed wrap-around stairs in my library all by themselves so I wouldn’t have to remember it all. I could just plop it down on any new lot I wanted to start with.
- You need “Testingcheatsenabled true” and “Moveobjects on” to put undersea windows into the hull of a houseboat. The hull is created the same way you create a basement.
- Use “Moveobjects on” to put objects closer to each other than the software ordinarily allows. You can even combine things, like columns with half walls and such, by using this cheat. It doesn’t work for everything, but it does for most things. You should turn it off right after you use it because it has weird effects, like windows disappearing into walls and such if you don’t. You can correct the disappearing windows or door either before or after turning off the cheat just by making a little grab at them until they come back into view.
- I’ve learned I can plop new islands and lots anywhere I like! Can’t describe how here though. It’s something my daughter showed me on the control pannel. I know where it is but not how to describe it.
- I learned how to make glass floors/roofs… not just the pretend kind that involves the use of the feefifum fence across open spaces that lets rain and sims fall through. It requires the Into the Future Expansion Pack and the “Moveojects on” cheat. There are glass tiles available in this pack. You can place them on top of an existing floor and get a glassy look but not the real thing unless you use the cheat. When you use the cheat to place them, it merges with and replaces the existing floor to make it translucent. Either way, it won’t place at all unless there’s an open space beneath the given floor.
- The cheat “BuyDebug” gives access to a special menu that is titled simply “?” There are all kinds of cool doo-dads, spawners, and objects in there used by the developers to create the various Sims 3 worlds, including ones you might not have the expansion pack for. I found movie sets in there, e.g., despite the fact that I don’t have the Showtime expansion pack. Included here of my particular interest is a blue ball you can put into your landscape to create mist and others that spawn various times of fish, bugs, butterflies, animals, seeds, and collectables. The icons for these can be handled like any other object, but disappear from view when you go live. They’re only visible in edit mode.
- You can make windows in your pool walls into the basement surrounding the pool!
- Big deal for me, I just figured out how to make an aquarium; not the little home type, but the big type! You build a big pool or series of them, enclose them in a basement with a minimum of 1 square between pool wall and basement wall because “Moveobjects on” is not going to let you collide those walls. Put windows in them (this doesn’t require the cheat that putting windows in a houseboat hull does; it’s different). Then open the Buydebug cheat and plop in the proper designator for fresh or salt water, the right fish spawners, and coral, sea grass, or whatever. Build the floor above, putting railings around each pool and a stair going down to the aquarium basement. La voila!
- I’ve got a working idea of how to do waterfall now too… but it’s nothing like any of the tutorials I’ve seen online requiring the columns to make water fall from an upper pond or extensive use of the blue ball. Tried that. Doesn’t work for me. What does work, cheesy as it is, is to make the cliff, forget about a pond on top because that for whatever reason never fills with water up there, make the pond at the bottom, put a vertical indent into the cliff wall and tuck some geysers into the base and a large landscaping rock to hide the base of the geysers. I may also tuck blue balls into the base and top, but it’s not hugely necessary. It still ends up looking like a water fall and is still falling water even when you go up close, unlike the mist-made waterfalls shown in may a tutorial and appearing throughout the Sim lands.
2. …Not that mist-made waterfalls don’t exist or anything. I just don’t like them as much to play in as actual pounding water type waterfalls. I saw a mist-made one in Oregon once though. This was in the waterfall district of the Columbia Gorge. There’s this one waterfall that falls from so high up that its turned to heavy mist by the time it reaches bottom and is already being so carried away by the wind that theres not even a pool or a river at its bottom. Very strange.
3. Holy crap (literally) the news coming out of the Middle East and the White House lately!
Obama sent warships to the Gulf “to protect American interests and Americans” in Iraq.
Uhmmm… What interests would those be? Oil? Do we really wish to continue trade relations with those crazy people over there? I mean, hell, if you have to bring in war ships to do it, something is NOT right with that arrangement. It’s stupid and dangerous to have anything to do with that part of the world.
And why wouldn’t have Americans been evacuated from there by now?
Meanwhile, some of the Iraqis that abandoned the weapons we gave them and fled Mosul in advance of the even crazier bloody Islamists have now decided it’s safer to go back because the military check points are now gone and the utilities are back on.
Define “Safe.” These guys just beheaded not only hundreds of policemen and soldiers, playing soccer with the severed heads, but have also taken to killing non-Muslims as well as Muslims they deem not Muslim enough. How on earth is that safe?
One Iraqi says that they fear the government forces sending in bombs and that maybe they might be safer among the Islamists.
Dicey logic there if you ask me. For one thing, no Islamist is “safe” unless he’s locked up, weaponless, or dead. For another thing, the government forces will be attacking the Islamists/seditionists and Middle Easterners are not known to refrain from making casualties of innocent bystanders. No. They’ll just kill at random whoever happens to be at the target point.
So what sane or intelligent person would think that being at the target point is a really great idea?
I’ll tell you what sort: None.
*SHAKING MY HEAD*
Darwin Awards are coming up soon methinks.
4. Please, if there are any sane, civilized, Muslims out there, you should just cut yourselves free from Islam and cut your losses instead of continually aiding and abetting the thuggery of Islam just by virtue of even silent soladarity with it.
5. And yes, Islam always turns out this way when practiced strictly. It’s a flat out lie or plain delusion to think otherwise. Koran and haddith alike call for making a wide slaughter of unbelievers and making those let to live pay tribute and keep to 2nd class citizenship. Women are always 3rd class citizens of course. And whenever Islam doesn’t have enough local unbelievers to slaughter, they start slaughtering fellow Muslims to make up for it on basis of “Not being Muslim enough,” being “heretical,” or whatever excuse they can come up. Either way, it is mostly peaceful innocents they slaughter most widely. Islam is a very violent and primitive religion. Allah demands constant blood sacrifices it seems.
6. I planted my whole kitchen garden on my deck this year in hangars and in big pots and bowls: Sugar peas, two kinds of beans, lettuces, herbs, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and carrots and they’re doing great! For once, I’m not having to fight the weeds, the bugs, and the slugs for everything. Never have time for that anymore anyway. I know: lazy gardener syndrome. Whatevs’.